The basic crime scene procedures are physical evidence recognition, documentation, proper collection, packaging, preser- vation, and, finally, scene reconstruction.
What are the 4 steps in crime scene processing?
Whether the crime scene is a recovered stolen vehicle or a multiple homicide where several crime scenes are involved the basic protocol is the same: INTERVIEW, EXAMINE, PHOTOGRAPH, SKETCH and PROCESS.
What is the procedure for processing a crime scene?
7 Steps of a Crime Scene Investigation
- Identify Scene Dimensions. Locate the focal point of the scene. …
- Establish Security. Tape around the perimeter. …
- Create a Plan & Communicate. Determine the type of crime that occurred. …
- Conduct Primary Survey. Identify potential evidence. …
- Document and Process Scene. …
- Conduct Secondary Survey. …
- Record and Preserve Evidence.
What are 4 different types of crime scenes?
Different types of crime scenes include outdoors, indoor, and conveyance. Outdoor crime scenes are the most difficult to investigate. The exposure to elements such as rain, wind, or heat, as well as animal activity, contaminates the crime scene and leads to the destruction of evidence.
What are the four main types of documentation at a crime scene?
The categories are summary, scene (including a detailed body description if in a death investigation), processing, evidence collected, and pending.
What is the first thing you do at a crime scene?
“The initial responding officer (s), upon arrival, shall assess the scene and treat the incident as a crime scene. They shall promptly, yet cautiously, approach and enter the crime scene, remaining observant of any persons, vehicles, events, potential evidence, and environmental conditions.”
What are the 5 steps in a crime scene investigation?
Terms in this set (5)
- Collect evidence.
What are the 3 phases of criminal investigation?
Applied to the criminal realm, a criminal investigation refers to the process of collecting information (or evidence) about a crime in order to: (1) determine if a crime has been committed; (2) identify the perpetrator; (3) apprehend the perpetrator; and (4) provide evidence to support a conviction in court.
What are the 8 steps to processing a crime scene?
Terms in this set (11)
- Obtain a search warrant.
- Secure and Isolate the crime scene.
- Record the scene.
- Conduct a systematic search for evidence.
- Collect and package physical evidence.
- Maintain and chain of custody.
- Obtain controls.
- Submit evidence to the laboratory.
What are the steps of an investigation?
The following steps should be taken as soon as the employer receives a verbal or written complaint.
- Step 1: Ensure Confidentiality. …
- Step 2: Provide Interim Protection. …
- Step 3: Select the investigator. …
- Step 4: Create a Plan for the Investigation. …
- Step 5: Develop Interview Questions. …
- Step 6: Conduct Interviews.
What is corpus delicti?
Corpus delicti literally means “body of the crime” in Latin. … In popular usage, corpus delicti also refers to the actual physical object upon which a crime has been committed.
What should you not do at a crime scene?
Here are 5 things you should and should NOT do when a crime scene or traumatic incident occurs in your home, business or property.
- 1 – Do NOT touch, or have anyone else touch anything. …
- 2 – Do NOT clean it yourself, or have a family member or employee clean up.
What is the Golden Rule of Criminal Investigation?
The Golden Rule in Criminal Investigation. “ Do not touch, alter, move, or transfer any object at the crime scene unless it is properly marked, measured, sketched and/or photographed .”
What information should be included in a crime scene sketch?
The following should be recorded on the sketch: • Address or location of scene. Case number. Date sketch was made and by whom. A key to identify the different objects in the sketch.